We study the AQA Specification in Geography. For full details please refer to the AQA GCSE Geography specification.
We study Two major themes, with different topics within each.
The course is assessed 100% by examination, split across three papers (one for each theme).
Always encourage students to take an active interest in where they are going and where it is in relation to where they live. Making sure your child reads the route maps and tube maps on public transport will encourage them to learn about the city in which they live.
Theme 1- Living with the physical environment.
- The challenge of natural hazards (earthquakes, volcanoes, extreme weather hazards, and climate change)
- The living world (ecosystems, hot deserts, and tropical rainforests)
- Physical landscapes in the UK (rivers and coasts)
Theme 2- Challenges in the human environment
- Urban Issues and challenges (Case study: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, sustainable urban living around the world)
- The changing economic world (UK case study: Bristol, International case study: Nigeria.)
- The challenge of resource management (Food, water, and energy)
Theme 3- Geographical application
- This theme is key skills taught throughout KS3 and KS4. It also consists of two fieldtrips in KS4.
General Geography Websites:
There are plenty of interesting websites for students to learn about Geography. Encourage your child to explore the world through some of the following general websites.
- rgs.org/HomePage.htm (The Royal Geographical Society)
- ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/ (The Ordnance Survey)
Specific websites for Geography students:·
- geography.org.uk/ (The Geographical Association)
- bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/ (revision website)
- ocr.org.uk/qualifications/type/gcse/hss/geog_b/documents/ (GCSE Exam board website – Just do a google search for “OCR Geography B”)
Magazines and Books
- Encourage your child to read as much as possible from a wide range of sources. You should always have an atlas at home and a World, European or UK map on the bedroom wall is always helpful in encouraging learning.